Students will gain an understanding of the Western rock lobster life cycle.
Background information about the Western rock lobster fishery can be found in the Fact Sheet: Western rock lobster
- Discuss with your students the Western rock lobster fishery in Western Australia. Points for discussion include:
- It is both a commercial and recreational fishery – what do each of these mean?
- It is the most valuable single species fishery in Australia.
- Regulations include – licenses, seasons, size limits, bag limits (recreational), total allowable catch (commercial), protection of breeding females, gear restrictions.
- Distribute Student Worksheet: Lobster Life Cycle to students and allow time to complete.
- Engage students in discussion about the lobster life cycle and what this might mean for the fishery.