Duration30 - 45 minutes
Students will learn about the rocky intertidal zone, the organisms that live there, and the challenges they face to survive.
This lesson requires you to share the Presentation: The intertidal zone: a reef platform with your students.
Background information on the intertidal zone may be found in the Fact Sheet: Intertidal Rocky Shores.
- View the Presentation: The intertidal zone: a reef platform with your class.
- Engage students in a discussion about the zones of a local intertidal area.
- What organisms exist in your local intertidal area and what challenges are they faced with?
- What adaptations have they developed to deal with this harsh environment?
- Are they structural, physiological or behavioural?