Duration30 - 45 minutes
Students will choose an animal from the rock pool and write a description of a day in the life of that animal.
This lesson may follow the Lesson: Sharing a Shell. It assumes students have some basic knowledge of animals that live in rock pools.
You may chose to complete this activity as a whole class discussion, or have students complete it in small groups or individually. Students completing the activity in small groups or individually may use Student Worksheet: A Day in the Life of … as a template.
- As a class, brainstorm animals that might live in a rock pool. Discuss the challenges that animals living in rock pools face.
- Ask students to choose an animal from the rock pool and write a description of the day in the life of that animal.
- You may choose to provide Student Worksheet: A Day in the Life of … to students as a template; or for younger students, write the story as a class. Ask the students to dictate the story to you as you scribe it.
- Students may include information such as:
- What do I see?
- What do I eat?
- Where do I live?
- Will another creature try to eat me?
- What do I do when the tide is out?