Duration45 - 60 minutes
Students will explore the diversity of marine life on Ningaloo Reef.
This lesson is intended to be completed after the Lesson: Welcome Back Jack.
In this reading of Jinormous Jack you will focus on the Ningaloo Reef as a habitat and the diversity of marine life that it supports.
Background information about the variety of species found in Ningaloo Reef may be found in the Fun Fact Sheets.
Barrymore, J. 2005, Jinormous Jack. Little Aussies, Fremantle, Western Australia.
Western Australian curriculum
|Science||Science understanding||Biological sciences||ACSSU002, ACSSU211|
|English||Literacy||Interacting with others||ACELY1646, ACELY1656|
|Humanities and social sciences||Knowledge and understanding||Geography||ACHASSK031|
- Revisit the book, Jinormous Jack. Ask students to recall where the story is set (Ningaloo Reef).
- Where is the Ningaloo Reef? What is the Ningaloo Reef?
- As you read the story, focus on the diversity of marine life shown in the illustrations, the surrounding environment and how people use the area. (Illustrations show numerous species of coral, algae (seaweed), fish, sharks, manta rays, turtles, sea jellies, sea stars, whales and whale sharks).
- Brainstorm the marine life encountered in the story as you go. What other organisms might you expect to find? (lots of different species of fish, sea stars, sea cucumbers, octopus, squid, hermit crabs, sea snails, clams and anemones).
- Discuss the term habitat with your students. Does all of the ocean have the same one habitat? Are all creatures in the ocean found in the same habitat? (Consider animals on land – they have different needs and so live in different places, the same occurs in the ocean).
- Ask students to draw their version of the Ningaloo reef and the creatures that live in it, or complete one on the Fishy Fun activities listed in additional resources (below).
Fishy Fun: Colour by number – Coral fish
Fishy Fun: Colouring in – Coral reef and turtle
Fishy Fun: Colouring in – Whale shark
Fishy Fun: Diorama – Virtual Aquarium
Fishy Fun: Dot-to-dot – Blue tang
Fishy Fun: Dot-to-dot – Coral fish
Fishy Fun: Dot-to-dot – Whale shark
Lesson: How big is jinormous?
Lesson: What’s the difference? – Year 1