Come and discover what is found on Perth's limestone reef and conduct an ecosystem survey using transects and quadrats.
As well as a variety of fish species, many common invertebrate species live close to the shore.
Refer to our Teacher Guide: Reef transect for a more detailed explanation of what students will learn in this field study.
Information for students and teachers about what to bring on the day is provided in the Teacher Resource Sheet: Preparing for your reef transect.
All equipment to complete this field study is provided by the Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development.
All participants will be required to bring:
- board shorts
- t-shirt / rashie / sun protective top
- reef walkers / booties / sneakers
- water bottle
Long pants, thongs or bare feet are NOT appropriate for this activity.
- This activity requires you to transport students to and from the designated reef area.
- Students will be in the water, no deeper than waist height.
- It is the school’s responsibility to provide staff with suitable qualifications to meet the Education Water Based Excursion requirements.
- This activity is weather dependent and will only be scheduled in Terms 1 and 4, however may be cancelled at the discretion of the Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development should the conditions be deemed unsuitable.